Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day One Reflections


Yesterday was the first day for Operation Foundation 2012, and what a day it was! This is my third year involved with OFPA and even though we are still growing as an organization, we have learned so much.  I am so excited to see what else comes our way this week, as well as seeing the Kingdom of God shine through the work happening. 

-Megan W.


This is a story that one of our volunteers sent us from yesterday.  Please give it a read and let us know what you think!  If you have a story, please send it to operationfoundationpa@gmail.com and I'll do my best to get it posted. 

From Kevin S.- "What a profound impact rolled up sleeves and a few buckets of paint can do. The work of Operation Foundation is so much more than that though. This semester in one of my classes we have been talking about social capital: What is it? How do we create it? What does it do? Operation Foundation is an incredible project that is doing plenty of good for the city of Anderson.  However, in the long run, what does a new coat of paint do for a community? That might be hard to tabulate or show on a graph, but undoubtedly it makes a difference. It restores hope and a sense of pride for those living in this community. It opens doors for communication and bridges social barriers. I met a boy yesterday, Trevion, who has dreams of becoming a professional, football, basketball, baseball, hockey, boxing, and soccer player. Of course the impossibility of this is obvious, but that didn’t matter to Trevion. So I asked him, why did it matter for him to be a professional at all of them? 
“If I did all of those things I would have enough money to get my family and everyone I care about into a better place.”
God moment.  
It would have been so easy to trivialize the work that was being accomplished. But in God’s hands it makes a profound impact. Through that opportunity we were able to reach out to that boy and show him that people do care, and that we believe in him. The work of Operation Foundation is so much more than restoring buildings, it’s about restoring hope in the hearts of people and reviving communities one person at a time.  And that’s not just for those being served, but for those serving as well. I know my heart was changed by meeting Trevion. "

No comments:

Post a Comment