Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 3 Reflections

Here is a reflection from Wednesday's work day: 

Operation Foundation 2012: 
I had the opportunity to serve through OFPA twice this week. I was so impressed with the organization of the projects and the sweet attitude of all the volunteers. It was clear from the start that the heart and passion of the projects were not just focused on the work to be done, but the people. 
We were prayed over and sent out, map in hand, to find the place where we would scrape, paint, pull weeds, cut branches, and remove trash. But most importantly we would meet new friends and take the time to learn a bit about their lives. 
I'm always amazed when I work alongside AU students while they serve. I'm humbled by what I observe: Sincerity. Respect. Interest. Unassuming curiosity. Acceptance. Willingness. Love.

Bobbi has lived in her home for longer than some students have been alive. Her husband, who was always in charge of re-staining the deck, died a few years ago. She had the supplies, but not the man power. I loved how Bobbi showed her appreciation, not through words, but by offering sandwiches and drinks to us. My reaction was to graciously refuse her offer and continue on with my work. Everyone else followed my lead, but two. When they accepted her gift (really her thanks) of a ham sandwich I saw something change in Bobbi. I think she felt appreciated and respected. This small action really spoke to me. It taught me that it's important to make others feel accepted and significant in a way that will resonate with them. Re-staining the deck was the task, but reaching out to Bobbi in a way that made her feel special was the goal. 

Mildred has also lived in her home for years. She worked hard at a minimum wage job to pay her house off completely. She was obviously a work horse- getting her hands dirty and doing things a woman of her age should not be doing (even though she is in poor health). She probably would have climbed up on the roof if she needed to. Mildred has had some hard life situations handed to her and her family has grieved her. We repainted her shed and helped clean up her back yard. Mildred was so easy to talk to and very quick to open up about her life. My favorite part of this experience was watching students invest the little bit of time we had in learning enough about Mildred's life to connect with her and show her Christ's love. When Mildred hugged me as I left, I prayed that she would learn what I have learned: that the purpose was not a newly painted shed and a cleaner back yard: but meeting new friends who serve and love with no strings attached. 

My hope is that has we serve the Bobbi's and Mildred's of our community, that what remains is God's presence. I pray that has we clean, scrape, fill, lift, replace, and re-make, that God is doing similar things in the souls of these individuals, as well as within us. We are called to be His hands and feet. To me, this means that we should work hard, but with the intention to share God's love and make HIM look good. 

This experience has left me amazed, filled, and energized. Thank you for the opportunity to serve.

-Beth B.

No comments:

Post a Comment